See first hand, the results of science-based forest management used to manage our resources for today and for the future.
This is your opportunity to take part in sponsored tours of managed woodlands, operations, and mills, developed to provide information about the forest environment and its every day use, with plenty of resources to take back to your classroom.
Who is it for? Teachers and guidance counsellors from the Atlantic provinces
What is it? Dynamic and interactive activities given by forest professionals
When/Where is it? August 12 - 15, 2013 at the Pictou Lodge in Pictou, NS
- To enjoy relevant and interactive experiences in the forest in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere;
- To gain insights into forests, forest ecosystems, tree identification, wildlife, soils, and so many other natural resources;
- To understand the various aspects of today's forest sector and its aim to balance societal, economic and environmental benefits;
- To obtain information and education resource materials to enhance the teaching of science, geography, environmental studies, etc.;
- To learn about sound forestry practices, woodland operations, the science behind forest management, and resource management planning
- To get a first-hand look at the technology and equipment used in forests and mills, and the efforts made to protect water quality and wildlife habitats;
- To explore the many future career opportunities available to young people
What does it cost educators to attend
Interested forestry companies and organizations cover all costs to educators. If your company or organization would like to sponsor a teacher CLICK HERE
Thanks to the following companies and organizations who provided their generous support for the 2012 Tour.
Atlantic Land Improvement Contractors Association
ALPA Equipment Ltd.
Association of Registered Professional Foresters of NB
AV Nackawic Inc.
B.Y. Levesque Ltée
C. Bergeron Enterprises Inc.
Canadian Forest Service
Canadian Forestry Association of NB
Canadian Institute of Forestry - Martime Section
Canadian Institute of Forestry - NS Section
Canadian Woodlands Forum
Coop Travailleurs Forestiers McKendrick
Corner Brook Pulp & Paper Ltd.
Delco Forest Products Ltd.
Elmsdale Lumber Co. Ltd.
Érablière Denis Cotè et fils
Forest Products Association of NS
Forestry Safety Society of NS
Fornebu Lumber Company Inc.
Four Best Management Inc.
Groupe Savoie Inc.
Harry Freeman & Sons
J.D. Irving Ltd.
Les Cédres Balmoral Ltée
Louisiana Pacific - Houlton
Louisiana Pacific Canada Ltd.
Maritime College of Forest Technology
Maritime Lumber Bureau
MDM Entreprise Ltée
Ministère de l'éducation du N.-B.
NB Department of Natural Resources
NB Maple Syrup Association
NL Dept. of Natural Resources
Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Corporation
Nova Scotia Power Inc.
NS Dept. Of Natural Resources
PEI Dept. Department of Agriculture and Forestry
Registered Professional Foresters Association of NS
SFI - NB Implementation Committee
SFI - NS Implementation Committee
UNB - Faculty of Forestry & Environmental Management
Universitè Moncton, campus d'Edmundston
Wagner Forest NS Ltd.
Wood Product Manufacturers Association of Nova Scotia